Sunday, April 8, 2012

The art of spinning

This fall I was introduced to the art of spinning. When I put it like that most of you probably think I've meet someone IRL that showed me the ropes. That however, was not how it went down. I don't remember exactly how it went down but I think it was thanks to the Phat fiber group I've talked about in a previous post, Etsy sellers and their buyers. I wasen't about to plunge into it by buying a spinning wheel without even trying some spinning so I bought a nice affordable spindle kit from hilltopcloud at Etsy.

The kit included a spindle made out of a toy wheel and there was a good amount of fiber in it to keep me going for a while. I got kind of hooked, I enyojed the process but it took a while to get any result and so it got a little lost  in the WIP pile. But my dream of making yarn was not forgotten. About 2 months ago I bought a lace spindle from Spinatude and was again hooked. I got the kind of yarn I wanted and even if the result was not even I thought that it was really nice for a new spinner.

My dream of owning a spinning wheel was yet again resurrected and I began searching forums on Ravelry to get an idea of what kind of spinning wheel I wanted. I was lucky enough to get in contact with a group of spinners in my area that sometimes have spinning meetings. One of the actives in the group actually came and got me last Saturday so I could try some spinning on their wheels. So after some planning I have now decided to get my self a Kromski Minstrel. Nobody in the group had a Minstrel but I got to try a Sonata and really liked the feeling of it compared to the Ashford I got to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment